Friday, August 19, 2011

Hello everyone,

I am very encouraged by the statements made yesterday by Whole Foods Market in the Salt Lake Tribune article:



“'The bottom line is some people made some mistakes and we have addressed that internally,' said Libba Letton, a Whole Foods spokesperson. 'This nurse-in is a great way to bring attention to an important issue.'

If Love returns to Whole Foods and nurses her son, she will not be asked to cover herself, Letton said. A complaining customer would be told about the policy.”


This is something I have been asking for clarification on for some time. I believe that employee training on how to handle complaints without confronting breastfeeding families is a crucial step in order for a policy to be effective.

Before this article was released, the only details I was given by Whole Foods Market on the policy were that it would consist of this statement, "Whole Foods Market welcomes and supports breastfeeding mothers." This concerned me because in the initial responses that I and others received, Whole Foods Market claimed to 'support breastfeeding' and also defended the actions of its employees against my family as 'appropriate.”

While I truly appreciate the apologies that Whole Foods Market has made since then, I think it is important to follow through to ensure that an effective policy is implemented.

I am asking Whole Foods Market to provide updates on the policy via an easily accessible venue such as their website or blog, so that if families are confronted by employees or customers in the future, they will know that their concerns will be taken seriously by Whole Foods Market.

I know that until a formal policy is implemented, our family will not be contributing to this corporation's monetary gain.

Thank you, everyone, for your support! It has been a tremendous encouragement after such an overwhelmingly awful experience. I look forward to gathering together in person and spirit with you tomorrow!
 

~ Angelina Love

2 comments:

  1. Hi Angelina

    I just wanted to let you know that I have been emailing back and forth with one of the managers at the Whole Foods Market in one of the Ontario stores and he has promised that his region, at least, will be implementing a policy, hopefully before tomorrow! I will let you know what happens.

    -Cricket

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering when I read the article if WF had ever personally responded to your letters, campaign and phone calls. I think it is a bit odd/tacky of them to ignore you and talk to the press, even though their words were encouraging.

    ReplyDelete